If you are asking yourself or, probably, the almighty Google the question ‘What are the best online pokies?’ but get only vague answers or advertisements in response, we have an idea for you. Follow our 3 rules, and you will get your answers once and for all.
Number one. Safety first. We can’t stress it any stronger: you have to opt for the games created by trustworthy providers. They are not a rare thing on the market, by the way: just do your research. NetEnt, Real Time Gaming, Aristocrat, Novomatic, Microgaming – all these companies have been in business for decades, they are licensed and recognized by gaming authorities worldwide. Their names guarantee fair and random outcomes of the games and, additionally, excellent quality of graphics, sounds, and the game overall.
Trustworthy provider box – checked. It’s time to take a closer look at the casino you’ve chosen and its credibility. Go to the bottom of the webpage and examine the footer: there must be some information on the casino license and, ideally, active links to confirm it. The platform must be approved by legitimate gaming authorities, such as Malta Gaming Authority, UK Gambling Commission, Isle of Man jurisdiction, Curaçao eGaming, Gibraltar Regulatory Authority, Alderney Gambling Control Commission (AGCC), Kahnawake Gaming Commission, or eCOGRA (eCommerce Online Gaming Regulation and Assurance). Don’t be lazy and look through online feedback and casino reviews from other gamblers and the industry watchdogs. A confirmed license and solid reputation of the gambling platform will ensure your data and funds’ safety and let you tick another box.
Number two. Ask yourself what you want from playing online pokies? What’s the point of all this? If you are in for the thrill of winning the sum that will change your life forever, you might consider progressive games. The most generous of them is Mega Moolah by Microgaming, Jackpot Diamonds by Novomatic, Dark Knight by Microgaming, Mega Fortune by NetEnt. Their massive jackpots have hit the news a couple of times paying out millions of dollars to random players across the world. If both your gambling budget and patience can afford long and persistent gaming, you might give it a try. Progressive jackpots are not a myth; they are more like shooting stars. They hit rarely and unexpectedly. Despite what many people say, you can’t predict them either.
If you are more into the idea of getting modest but regular payouts, you might consider non-progressive pokies with high RTPs and established jackpots. Digging deeper into the topic, pay attention to the difference between 3- and 5-reel slots. The first ones have a limited number of paylines, thus limited winnings. They will pay out more regularly but moderately. 5+ reels will offer you more paylines to activate, but you’ll have to pay for them. So, chances to win there are expensive, however, there are more of them. It’s your call again – choose which option will suit you better.
Number three. Technicalities. After all the main boxes have been ticked, you can concern yourself with the following questions: do the theme and design satisfy or irritate my senses? Will my device support the game? Spoiler alert: it probably will. Pretty much all the pokies of today are created with HTML5 and can be played through an Internet browser on any device.
We’ve picked out the 5 most popular pokies from the top providers in the industry to give you an idea of them.
- Gonzo’s Quest by NetEnt. One of the most popular pokies in numbers: 5 reels, 3 rows, 20 paylines, and RTP = 95.97%. $0.2-0.5 per spin with the maximum winnings = 2,500x. Beautiful design of an ancient Incan city and a variety of bonus features: multipliers, scatters, wilds, and free spins.
- Big Red by Aristocrat. With an impressive RTP of 97.04% and the colourful Australian outback in the background, this pokie has conquered hundreds of fans inside the country as well as from all across the globe. Gamblers love the wild Australian animals popping up as scatters and wilds and triggering bonus rounds and free spins.
- Book of Ra Deluxe by Novomatic. Released in 2008 it made a lot of noise in the online gambling industry. Their newly introduced slot rules became revolutionary and have been inspiring both game developers and game lovers up until now. Enjoy their bonus free spins and expandable symbols covering all the length of the reel.
- Big Bad Wolf by Microgaming. Inspired by all-time favourite fairy-tale, it has been gaining admiration with its compelling 3D design and fun gameplay. RTP = 97.35%, 25 paylines and bets starting from $0.25. Free spins, scatters and wilds, special expandable symbols.
- Mega Moolah – the most generous progressive pokie. It is in the Guinness Book of Records for the biggest online payout. 5 reels, 3 rows, and 25 paylines, 88.12% RTP, stakes ranging from $0.25 to $6.25. This African Safari themed game is available for free and real money play on any device.
There’s nothing absolute in this world. Some might find Jakonda’s face the prettiest, while others prefer looking at Malevich’s Black Square. Oddly enough, it’s the same with pokies: “the best” is a subjective term. You have to choose something that suits your needs and preferences taking care of safety first.